14 Dec Caring for Waxed Cotton
Here we have put together all you need to know about caring for your waxed cotton products. It is important to ensure you look after and clean waxed cotton properly so it maintains its appearance.
One easy way to do this is to shake or brush off any dry dirt regularly with a soft bristled brush.
Waxed cotton is not washable – by machine or hand. Instead it is advised that if you need to clean your product (although we recommend doing this as little as often), use a small amount of cold water and gently wipe over the material. For areas that are especially troublesome, a small amount of a mild soap (not laundry detergent) may be applied to the area, but ensure you wipe all soap suds away before leaving your product to naturally air dry in a well ventilated place. It is important this is done with care and you do not use hot water or strong soaps. We recommend you try and avoid using any soap at all as you risk removing the wax from the material.
Washing waxed cotton in a washing machine, or with hot water, damages the wax and in some cases makes it soak through to the other side of the fabric – definitely not what you want!
Store in a place that is out of direct sunlight and away from radiators or other sources of heat. Try not to leave in places such as the backseat of a car, or by a window for prolonged periods of time.
Our gorgeous waxed cotton log carriers can be ordered here.
- Do avoid direct sunlight and other heat sources for any prolonged period of time
- Do store somewhere that allows the shape and appearance of your product to be maintained
- Do shake off and lightly brush off any patches of dirt regularly
- Do only use cold water when removing tougher patches of dirt
- Do not machine wash waxed cotton
- Do not tumble dry or use other methods to force drying
- Do not dry clean
- Do not iron or starch
- Do not use laundry detergent, bleach or strong soaps